During the quarantine, when so many of us are stuck at home, I can't help but notice how many people are wondering how to keep their toddlers busy. One of the best activities you can introduce to your child is play-dough. It is so beneficial for babies, toddlers and children that it deserves a blog post of its own. So many people wait until kids are older to introduce play-dough but introducing it at an early age has numerous benefits. Check out the top five benefits of introducing play-dough to your child:
1. It is an excellent tool that aids in development of fine motor skills. Squeezing, shaping and cutting strengthens the hand muscles.
2. It helps develop creativity and imagination. Just think of all the things you can make with play-dough. You can create various objects, people, animals, play dough dolls, play dough barn, play dough bakery. The possibilities are endless!
3. It helps with language development. Creating different objects introduces your child to new words that will help them expand their vocabulary and social skills as you discuss things during play.
4. You can use play-dough to learn shapes, colors, numbers and alphabet. Don't know how to get your toddler to learn their ABCs ? Play-dough will surely get their attention. Just create the letters, numbers and shapes and while you are at it, introduce color names.
5. Improves pre-writing skills as it helps develop the pincer grasp. Pinching, squeezing, rolling the play-dough between fingers to create balls, flattening, pulling, ripping helps develop the pincer grasp which is a crucial step in pre-writing skills.
I would recommend introducing play dough to your child around 12 months of age. Although the recommended age per Play-Doh website is 3 years old, with parent supervision you can start much earlier. Take this time to fully indulge in your child's development and have fun while you are at it. As long as you supervise, there is no risk involved with playing with play-dough but numerous benefits.
I highly recommend the activity table by Play-Doh. It comes with everything needed to get you started with unlimited possibilities of play-dough creative play. When you are thinking about that first birthday gift or a holiday gift for your child, give them a gift of imagination.
A small commission may be earned from qualifying amazon purchases.
Today's Baby Related Tips
Brought to You By
New Jersey Photographer
Specializing in Newborn and Children Photography and Fine Art