Everyone knows that stretch marks during pregnancy are usually all due to genetics but moisturizing skin can surely help prevent or reduce their appearance. During my first two pregnancies, I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula (Lotion and Cream) to help prevent stretch marks. This time around, I decided to try out other products to see if there was anything better on the market. Here are my thoughts on the following 7 creams/oils that I tried during my last pregnancy:
1. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion (new formula) Palmer's Lotion on Amazon
I enjoyed the light consistency of this lotion that was easy to apply, got absorbed quickly and was not greasy. Something to note is that the fragrance of the new formula changed. I preferred the original fragrance over this new one.
2. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Cream - the same familiar scent (I used the original formula) and a thicker consistency. I liked putting this cream before going to sleep. A new formula is now available. Palmer's Cream on Amazon
3. Belli Beauty Elasticity Belly Oil - I enjoyed the light lavender scent of this product but since it is an oil, it takes longer to absorb so you have to wait before getting dressed.
4. Mustela Stretch Marks Prevention - I am not a fan of this one. The cream would flake off my skin (as if it only stayed on the surface and never got absorbed). I also didn't enjoy the fragrance.
5. Bio Oil - excellent product with promising results but after reading that it contains Vitamin A, I avoided it during pregnancy. Save it for after delivery! It is an oil so it takes some time for the skin to absorb it. Don't put it on when you are rushing out the door. Bio Oil on Amazon
6. Earth Mama Belly Butter - this one was one of my favorites. Very light and pleasant to apply, absorbed quickly and had a very mild fragrance. My skin felt moisturized without any residue. Earth Mama Belly Butter on Amazon
7. Bella B Tummy Honey Butter - I didn't enjoy the grainy, thick consistency of this product. It also made my belly itch so I stopped using this butter.
Three pregnancies later and not a single stretch mark. I don't know if it was due to the creams, genetics or a combination of both but I know that the creams helped keep my skin moisturized. Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Lotion and Cream are probably the least expensive on the market right now and having used them throughout my three pregnancies, it is safe to assume that they are somewhat helpful. If I were to do it again, I would use Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Cream, Belli Beauty Elasticity Oil and Earth Mama Belly Butter. These three were my favorite.
Stay consistent and apply the creams morning and night. Squeeze in an extra application in between if you can.
I hope that you have found these tips helpful.
Good luck in your journey of pregnancy!
Today's Baby Related Tips
Brought to You By
New Jersey Photographer
Specializing in Newborn and Children Photography and Fine Art